Company History

1987 Mike and Suzanne Schumann started Traditions in a newly renovated storefront on the corner of Selby and Dale in St. Paul’s historic Ramsey Hill neighborhood. The opening of Traditions, coupled with the efforts of other pioneer businesses, including WA Frost and the Paper Patisserie, helped fueled the resurgence of Selby Avenue as a key element in St. Paul’s historic district.
1991Traditions moved its flagship St. Paul store from Selby Avenue to Grand Avenue, one of the premier shopping districts in the upper Midwest.
1997Traditions opened a 2nd store in historic downtown Stillwater, the oldest city in the State of Minnesota.
2000Traditions opened a 3rd store near Lake Calhoun in Minneapolis to serve the growing client base in the western metro area.
2002Traditions moved its Stillwater store to Naples FL to support the large contingent of Minnesotans with winter homes in Southwest Florida.
2008Traditions expanded its Minneapolis store into a newly renovated 1941 vintage building one mile west on Excelsior Blvd in St. Louis Park.
2020Traditions expanded their Minneapolis Showroom by opening The Studio across the courtyard. A collection of new and gently loved furniture.